With one Hour of Code experience under my belt, I invited two more friends to code with me. I had explored only minimally in preparation for my previous experience, and was able to follow and support a fairly open-ended exploration by 10 year old Z. I was feeling much more brave before this second time, and was interested what it would be like to work with two children at the same time.
I invited two siblings, L and Q, to code with me. They both attend a public neighborhood school near their house in the Denver Metro Area. Their school employs a fairly traditional approach to education, incorporating computers and other technology as learning tools, balanced with common methods of teaching al subject matter. Here’s a little bit more about them as individuals:
L is a ten year boy in fourth grade:
- He lists his favorite subjects as P.E. and reading.
- He is caring, thoughtful, and has been known to win awards at school for character and citizenship.
- He is active and loves football.
- He loves the rain and Seattle, aspiring to live there when he grows up.
- He has a great sense of style, from mohawks to hipster glasses.
- She lists her favorite subjects as reading, math, and art.
- She loves all things creative, and is an avid crafter.
- Has a natural and powerful connection with animals. She is a loving caretaker to many furry creatures at her home.
- Is naturally social and enjoys getting to know all kinds of different people.
- Her last two Halloween costumes were “Cleopatra” and “movie star”…with the big personality to pull them off.